The Zwarte Leeuw was initially a French warship called "Droite", but she was renamed upon being captured by the Dutch.
Prior to being scuttled, the ship was permanently anchored in Table Bay and had been converted into a convalescent station for recovering sailors. However, she ran aground during a storm with a north-westerly gale. She was subsequently refloated, filled with stone and sunk to form a mole near the Castle.
|Master||Goedland, Pieter Andriesz. van Delft|
The Zwaarte Leeuw was eventually completely destroyed by a storm on the 27th of May 1697. The wreck site of this vessel currently lies under reclaimed land and has not yet been found.
- DAS 1602.1.
- Lesa la Grange, Martijn Manders, Briege Williams, John Gribble and Leon Derksen (2024).
Dutch Shipwrecks in South African Waters: A Brief History of Sites, Stores and Archives [Unpublished].
- Willem van de Velde II.
Dutch Men O' War and Other Shipping in a Calm.