The (Galleon) San Diego was sunk in December 4, 1600 during the Battle of Manila Bay between the Dutch led by Oliver Van Noord and the Spanish. When the Dutch fleet was in close proximity to Manila, word reached the Spanish authorities about the impending attack. Due to lack of battleships to engage the enemy, the Galleon San Diego was refitted with weapons and cannons. 14 cannons were loaded in the ship, and due to time constraints, most of the cargo of the galleon remained on board, overloading the ship. San Diego’s skipper was Don Juan Antonio de Morga, a Spanish judge and inquisitor by profession.
The wreck is a 3-m high mound approximately 600 m2 with a few cannons spread on the surface. It lies 50 m underwater off Fortune Island, in Nasugbu, Batangas, Philippines. It was found in 1991 by the World Wide First (WWF) survey vessel Kaimiloa using a magnetometer and a bottom profiler. A 2 m by 2 m grid system was established and two electric submersible pumps were used for dredging out sediments. Porcelain, stoneware, and earthenware contemporary with the period were recovered along with metals and organic materials.