The keel was laid in November 1913 for the American Line-International Navigation Co. Ltd., Liverpool. When WWI broke out, construction was stopped. In 1920 the ship was launched as SS Pittsburgh. The first sea trial took place on May 25, 1922.
The S.S. Pennland, commissioned in 1940 as a troop transport ship and rented to the Ministry of War Transport. The ship was deployed during the evacuation of British troops from Greece. Heavily damaged by enemy bombers on 25 April 1941. She could not be salvaged and was sunk with cannon fire by the British warship H.M.S. Griffin. Four crewmembers died during the attack on the Pennland.
Type: Passenger-/cargo vessel
Built: 1913, Harland & Wolff Ltd., Queen's Island, Belfast
Owner 1: F. Leyland & Co. Ltd., Liverpool,
Owner 2: Holland-Amerika Lijn, Rotterdam
Dimensions: 574.4 x 67.8 x 40.9 Feet (British) Registered
Propulsion: Steam, Triple Expansion with LP-Turbine, Power: 12200
- Haersolte, J.W.J. van (1947).
Scheepsrampen in oorlogstijd, no. 90.
J.F. Duwaer & Zonen, Amsterdam.
- Maritiem Historische Data ID 5111.
Stichting Maritiem Historische Data.