The Mentor was part of a VOC fleet of 16 ships that left Batavia on the 22nd of November 1794 for Holland. When the Mentor and just a part of the fleet arrived at James Town, St. Helena, the ships were ambushed and seized by the English navy.
For the Dutch Republic this loss was far reaching. This fleet was the last VOC fleet. The VOC could not absorb the financial loss and went bankrupt.
The Mentor was taken to Shannon in Ireland.
Length: 122 ft
Master: Uilke Barends
The Mentor was an English ship bought from Citters en Catteau in 1789 for the chamber of Zeeland.