The Anna Catharina was beginning her third voyage to the Dutch East Indies with her sister ship, 't Vliegent Hert, when she struck a sandbar on February 3, 1735, and promptly sunk 18 km off the coast of Flushing. Both ships, along with both crews, were lost that day.
The wreck site of 't Vliegent Hert was discovered in September 1981, after almost three years of searching. Along with other objects recovered from the wreck site, 2,000 gold and 5,000 silver coins were found. The two ships sunk within around 6 km of each other.
Built: 1728 on the VOC yard in Middelburg for the Zeeland Chamber
There are discrepancies in the data of the ship in the sources.
Das: 850 tons, 256 crew.
VOC site: 600 tons (300 last), 100-150 crew.
Uitloopboeken: 100 last and 175 crew.
|Master||Jacob de Prinse|
|People on board||256|
|Length||130 feet (39.6 m)|
|Tonnage||600 ton (300 last)|