direct to content

MaSS

stepping stones of maritime history

History

Departed 7 September 1751 from Texel on a voyage to Batavia, a gale drove her off course to the east on 18 September and she ran ashore on the island of Sylt.

The ship was probably heading to Königshafen (literally: king’s haven), an anchorage bay near List, to seek shelter during the storm, but the ship ran aground at the north-westerly promontory of Sylt. This promontory became known as Ostindienfahrerhuk (literally: East Indiaman hook), a toponym still used today. According to a local chronicler, the wreck was situated in the surf-zone and its massive frames were still visible in his time, a hundred years later. According to the chronicler, the wreck was laden with timber, mill-stones, and prefabricated iron fittings for windmills, but he made no mention of the cargo of silver bars, which must have been on board according to VOC records. Given the islanders’ fastidious dealings with the law and their disinclination to return the lawful share of salvaged goods to the owner, it would not be surprising if this was a well kept secret amongst the salvagers, as the silver did evidently not find its way into the island’s written record.

Hansen 1856

Excerpt from Hansen's 1856 published chronicle, in which he reports that the shipwreck was still visible in his time.

Description

Yard: Amsterdam
Built: 1750
Tonnage 850, 425 last
Complement: 87

Length136 Amsterdam feet (38.5 m)

Status

According to - as yet - unconfirmed reports, the wrecksite was rediscovered by independent wreck-divers.

References

Down on 13 July

New in MaSS

Wrecks of Flevoland

Burgzand Noord

13 Provinces