Governor’s Rock is a large boulder found sitting along the waterline immediately north of the “small pier” at Fort Bay. It is a popular fishing spot among Sabans. The name originates from Saba’s vice commander in the late 17th century, Lucas van Beverhout. He had gone fishing one day atop the rock and was struck by a falling rock from the hillside above and died. Since that day it has been known as the “Governor’s Rock”.
Engel van Beverhoudt was apointed in 1687 vice commander of Saba.
- Knappert L. (1930).
GESCHIEDENIS VAN DE NEDERLANDSCHE BOVENWINDSCHE EILANDEN IN DE 18de EEUW.
Nieuwe West-Indische Gids, Jaargang XI pp 353-.